Tuesday, October 28, 2008

..........my first 5K!!!

I completed my first 5K on Saturday. The Piney Creek School, Run For Gracie 5K was held to raise money for a paved walking track. My wife signed me up for the event. When I got there, the kids had already begun with their one-mile fun run. Lisa had me pre-registered, so I just enjoyed watching other people. There were some pretty serious runners there and some other folks like myself. Start time was 10:00 AM sharp! Off we go on a beautiful course that winds through some extraordinary countryside views of Alleghany County. The fast runners soon pulled away and out of sight. I completed the race in good time and went into the building for the awards. Much to my surprise, I won second place in the 44-49 year old men's class! Not bad for a first time racer. The first place guy was about 6'-8" and a lean runner type. I was second, and, well; that finished up the classification. Now, I didn't finish last. There were three women and a 4-year old who finished behind me. Oh, and my time? I walked the course in 46 minutes. I think we raised about $7,500 for the trail. For my next 5K, I'm hoping to break 45 minutes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home