Tuesday, October 02, 2007

..........being "elite".

This is a little unlike most of my posts; but, I was actually thinking about serious issues today, when I started looking at those who think they are elite, and how they are worshipped in our society. What is it with being elite? It almost seems like a mental drug that keeps us going. It's a foundation for our egos to grow upon. Whenever you hear about military operations, you almost never hear about the common ground troop; it's always the "elite 5th Special Forces Group", or some such. Why do we feel that we all should strive to be elite? Is it a crime to be common? Is it a crime to be moderate? Serious political talk and religion exposes elite feelings better than anything I know. It's impossible to have all the answers in either scenario. To say you do have all the answers is to be wrong and misguided. Let's begin with politics. There are a couple of different "phobias" of thought in American politics - conservative and liberal. One claims upholding standards, while the other suggests that we let people prosper with very few rules in place. I will admit that I lean to the liberal side, but I can't stand totally with them. I see the need for standards in our society. Everyone can't do their own thing and still expect to have some order exist. By the same token, you can't dictate what is right and wrong and expect everyone to follow your lead. Americans love to think "outside of the box". I guess this gets me back to where I've always claimed to be - a moderate. I agree with some of both. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it, too. Could a moderate President of the United States govern effectively? That's a good question, and I don't have the answer. What about my other "hot topic" - religion. I view a person's religion as a relationship that is unique, but guided by established theology. For instance, many Christian churches exist; and just like the number of denominations, so do the opinions of what is right and wrong. Some churches serve wine during Communion, while others use juice. Just as politics have a conservative and liberal wing, so do the Christian church denominations. Our religion is our faith based. We have faith in what we have been told in the Holy Bible and by our religious leaders. At the risk of sounding scientific, I can't really tell you that everything I've been told in church is the absolute truth, or the way it really happened at all. I believe because I have faith that it is so. I didn't see it happen, and I'll just have to wait to see if it was really so or not. Please don't hate me for saying that - I have a strong faith, and I don't question what I have learned as the truth. I'm merely stating that I can't really prove any of it as the absolute truth, and that there may be some other part of the story that I'm unaware of. Wow, that sounds really liberal. I also feel myself backing slowly into a theological corner that has no exit. I tend to avoid any church or political thought that says they have all the answers. I guess my original point is confusion and resentment of the feeling and desire that people have to feel elite in their beliefs and having all the answers. In the end, we'll have to follow our "gut". It's my strong belief that bits of several sides will be the right answer. Must we always commit ourselves to one or the other? Is anyone or any group so elite that they have all the answers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home