Monday, September 24, 2007

..........another good weekend!!

I had another pretty good weekend here in western NC. Last week was really busy, with something every night except for Thursday. The same will go for this week, too. Tonight is percussion and Flag Corps rehearsal, Tuesday is Band Boosters meeting, Wednesday is church choir rehearsal, Thursday is free, Friday is homecoming, and Saturday we have our first band competition. We had a four-hour band rehearsal this past Saturday, and it went very well. We had 100% attendance, and the kids worked hard the entire time. I was proud of them. One of our former DM's (Courtlyn), came in to work with the present DM's, and did a great job! We are close to the band competition that we host here (only two weeks away), and things are going to get hectic in a hurry. There is still much to do, and I'm not convinced that the band parents realize the time that they will have to contribute beforehand to get it done. I've done about all I can do to convince them of it, but they still think all can be done a couple of days before. I'm going to stand back and watch this one play itself out. Oh well, back to the weekend. After band rehearsal, Lisa and I went out for a nice meal at Outback. We had the worst waitress! Her attention to detail was reflected in the tip. She'll be able to purchase a gallon and one-half of gas with that tip, if she doesn't decide to get it in Blowing Rock after her shift is over. Our steaks came to us before we got the salads, and nobody offered to knock some off the bill as a result of the poor service. We had a great sermon at church on Sunday about leaving your fears in God's hands. I definitely will strive to do just that. It's all about faith and trust. Oh, I yelled at one of my adult choir members. So as not to use actual names, we'll just call him, Swift. I was working with the ladies on a section of our music before the service and this idiot, excuse me, male choir member, butts in and makes a smart a** comment as to not knowing where we were in the music. I looked up and stated in a "very professional way" that we were in the same place that we have been all morning long, measure 34 on page 5. My voice was strong and stern, and my brow arched for the comment. I got the, "he just yelled at me for being a dumba** look". The anthem went fine during the church service. Even that person payed more attention. After church on Sunday, I did my usual drill by going to the high school and lining off the practice field. And yes, a stupid and highly inconsiderate bald coach watered the field after I left! Following the field lining, I went home to relax for awhile. There was a marathon of Survivorman on the Discovery Channel yesterday, with some episodes I haven't seen. I really like that show. The guy who is the survivor, Les, is a former British Commando; but, he is also pretty accident prone and kind of a dork sometimes. I watched some of the Panthers vs. Falcons game. I didn't really ever get into the game though. It started at 4:00 PM EST, and I would rather watch a football game earlier in the afternoon. I don't even know if the Panthers won or not??? Lisa had book fair a couple of weeks ago at her school. As a result, she got to choose a free book for herself. She got this recipie book of restaurant knock-off recipies. We proceeded to try Outback Steakhouse "Shrimp on the Barbie" and their signature "Remolaude" dipping sauce. I must say, it was quite tasty. The shrimp itself is nothing more than a mixture of pretty common spices (dry). You peel the shrimp (which Lisa did and spent a long time on - way to take one for the team, Lisa), dip it in lime or lemon juice and then in melted butter. After that, you just spinkle on the dry spices and grill for about 3 minutes on each side. The Remolaude sauce took a bit longer to make, but it was worth it. If you make this recipie, make the sauce several hours or even the night before you use it. I tasted it right after I made it and it tasted too much like mayonaise. Lisa told me the taste would change in a few hours after the flavors went together in the fridge - she was right. (If anyone wants these recipies, let me know and I'll email it to you). After dinner, the show of shows came on PBS - the new Ken Burns documentary on WWII - The War. It comes on every night this week, and it is outstanding! I can't wait to see the whole series. Anyway, another good weekend with family.

3 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger Josh said...

heck yeah, email me those recipes! i saw part of the survivor man marathon. i like it better than man vs. wild. the panthers won. but the best news? jake delhomme got injured and will out for awhile!! talk about taking one for the team!

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to "curse" during your rampage about CHURCH choir. HAHA

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cursing at church...at least you didn't go buy beer at Lowes afterwards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home