Tuesday, October 09, 2007

..........going out on a limb.



Here is another one of those "not so typical" posts of mine. I've been listening to a lot about socializing the health care system to the point that no one in America is left without health insurance; but, I have to admit, while I like the idea that no child would be without basic health care, I also see another side. In a very rare instance, I do agree with President Bush by his not signing the child health bill into law. There are too many opportunities for things to go wrong with a more socialized health care system, and I'm not ready to take the personal risk. Do I think everyone should be covered? Yes, and I think Americans need to realize that themselves and do something about it themselves. My wife and I went to public school, graduated, went to college, graduated, and chose a profession that has health care options. While the cost of our health care rises every year, we choose to pay that amount and keep our family insured. In fact, we chose the highest cost option on our plan to give us the best coverage. There are many reasons that people don't have health care in this nation, and one of them is their priorites. I have relationships with several people who work in the social services, and they often speak of visiting the homes of those whom they serve. They also talk of many who live in a horrible broken down trailer with a new truck parked in the driveway. There are people who have a very difficult time making ends meet in their fiancial lives; but, what really drives me crazy is to see someone beefing about no health care, and how expensive it is, and there they are paying for two cars, an ATV, and smoking cigarettes. It is often a matter of priorites, and many Americans have failed at putting the needs of their families first in the equation. Wow, that sounds radically Republican, doesn't it? I told you that I agree with things on both sides of the isle. In my opinion, a great society has citizens who take care of their young and old. It also takes more money to take care of these young and old citizens. Families must re-learn how to take care of themselves. It is an American priorites issue, plain and simple. There is another cause for our plight. I bet, in fact, I know that you can directly link this health care, low income problem situation to a person's choice to receive a good education. Many of these people come from a household where education is not viewed as important. You will see a high number of these people being high school dropouts, and very few college degrees. If you want to succeed in this country, you will. I've seen many who did not have the finacial means, succeed in higher education because they applied themselves. You can work hard and go to college if you want to do so. It is a choice and a priority. Americans are loosing their ability to take advantage of the many things that our society provides. That, in itself, is a slap in the face to "The Greatest Generation"; who got us through the Great Depression and WWII. Now, back to those uninsured folks. Yes, I know there are some special situations, but you have to do your homework when choosing a profession and planning your family. Don't take on more than you are planning to handle. The Democrats are going to make health care for everyone a priority in the upcoming election. It may be their undoing rather than the saving grace that they're hoping for. For the record; BOTEITG is aganist socialized medicine. Read it and weap Hillary!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home