Tuesday, August 14, 2007



..........Houston, I have a problem!


I went to see a surgeon yesterday afternoon, and yes, BOTEITG will have to have surgery! I have developed a hernia. What a stupid thing to do! In talking about my situation with other guys my age, it almost seems like a rite of passage. Mine is, at least, not very serious; and the surgeon says that I can wait until the surgery will be convenient for me and my schedule. Convenient? There will never be a convenient time for surgery. I have decided to wait until the second or third week of January '08 before I have it done. That way, I can get past all the marching band performances. I have to be careful and remain aware that I have this stupid condition when I am working, etc. If it gets larger or becomes painful to live with, I'll have to pause and have the "procedure" done immediately. I am assured that this is minor surgery. I should be in surgery for about an hour, and then home soon afterwards. I'll have to stay out of work for a few days (I'm taking personal leave days - I'm keeping those sick leave days for my retirement). The optimal time will be surgery on Tuesday, out of work through Friday of that week, and back in on Monday. Let's go back to the hernia itself. Like I said, it's not a bad one. It's not even down low where most guys have them. Mine is right at my navel. At this point, I will reveal how I got the stupid thing. I was on the podium demonstrating proper breath support as you would use playing a wind instrument. You know the drill......take a deep breath and use the diaphram to put pressure on the air as you distribute it into the instrument. At that point I felt a tear. This was followed by a sore feeling for about two or three days. I then began to feel a small bubble when I coughed, sneezed, sang, or yelled. All of these things could make the hole grow larger. It shouldn't be a problem who needs to sing or yell while teaching church choir and marching band? It is somewhat aggravated today, and is a bit sore. I had the drummers in last night for rehearsal, and I spoke loudly most of the evening. I will just have to suck it up. Lisa will tell you that I tolerate pain and adversities well, so that should be no big problem. I just have to remember; no yelling, no yelling, no yelling........................ Again, no problem - who would have to yell while teaching highly motivated, enthusiastic, and talented high school students in marching band?????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home