Thursday, January 31, 2008


..........a great basketball game!
Normally, I wouldn't post about a basketball game that we lost; but in this case, it really was an outstanding game. The Ashe County Huskies traveled to our rival, Starmount, on Tuesday night. The whole place was packed with fans and supporters of both schools. Many of the Starmount students were dressed in overalls, beards, and hillbilly hats in their student section. We took a busload of students down for the game. We call our student section the "Dogpound". Our student section is getting quite the reputation for noise and chants. It's really entertaining to watch and listen to the student sections go at each other. The game was back and forth with the lead until right before halftime, when the Huskies went into the locker room with an eight point lead. Now, the big thing about the Starmount team is their big man, Victor. I was really looking forward to seeing Victor play; but, he didn't do much during the first half. It was really a luke warm performance, in my opinion. Now comes the second half and what we all paid to see. Victor seemed to really come alive during the second half with both the offense and defensive play. I don't know how tall this kid is; but, our biggest guy is 6'-5", and Victor appeared to have several inches on him. I really wanted to see him dunk one. I soon got my wish. When this guy went up to dunk, his entire head and part of his chest was above the rim! Now that's a dunk! This kid has already signed to play at Virginia Tech! At any rate, the Huskies soon came upon a real dry spell with scoring and fell to a twenty-two point lead that they just couldn't break. In the end, we lost; but, it was a fantastic game. Our fans, of course, blamed the refs for our defeat. Too bad we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a bass fiddle after halftime.
I also got the opportunity to visit with Josh's mom. Josh is really like a brother to me and I really enjoyed our short visit. She shared some great news with me. As always, I look forward to the next time we can visit with Josh and his family.

4 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Mom is always talking about Victor. But I thought she was talking about the guy on Young and the Restless. Looks like the train of payne got derailed pretty bad. Is it still called the train of payne?

When is the band concert this spring? We'll probably be in town by May 13th or so.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Scott said...

We do still have the Train of Payne. We also have the House of Payne. You're right - the "train" was derailed into third place with this game. We were supposed to have another Waterloo type game tonight at home vs. N. Surry. We are out for and ice storm today; so, that one may be put on hold. If we lose the NS game, we will lock ourselves tight into third - darn!

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Oh, the band concert is probably going to be early (May 3 or 4). I feel sure you'll be able to catch a steel band gig before we're out of school. We'll be playing some Harris arrangements for that one.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Rise said...

That was one heck of a game. And yeah, I've been talking about Victor for years. I think Josh only listens to half of what I say. Actually I think he dates someone from Ashe - on the girls' team? Victor is the main reason I go to the games now, he is so much fun to watch. I've heard his height is 6'9" or 6'10". And you're right about his dunks, they are the real SLAM DUNKS you hear about but hardly ever see in high school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home