Monday, August 18, 2008

..........being a parent is "hard werk".

Being a good, responsible parent is difficult business at best. You're always getting into life-changing situations, and there's no way to put things on hold. We took our oldest daughter to college over the weekend. She's only 90 minutes away, and we can communicate with her most anytime that we want; but, it's still the issue of her being somewhere else, and not in the room upstairs. Needless to say, her mother and I have grieved over her not being here with us; but at the same time, we are both so very excited for her. She is going out on her own. She has the opportunity to make decisions based on her personal values, and has the opportunity to think on a much higher level than ever before. I did shed tears when we parted yesterday. They were tears of sorrow, happiness, and great pride. I know that our relationship with her will change. That doesn't mean change for the worse. I anticipate an ever growing maturation of our relationship, and I'm excited about that. Her mother and I won't be in such a supervisory role any longer. We will always be parents; but, she is in charge of her destiny. We've done everything in our power to exhibit good values and to train our children in Christian values. I feel good about the fact that she is going to a faith-based school (Lenoir-Rhyne University). I enjoyed the Lutheran doctrines when I was there, and she has already expressed to me that she was doing the same. I was glad to hear that she made friends with a fellow United Methodist on her hall on the first day. They plan to spend some of their time together. It was so very refreshing to go to the opening welcome session of the Prologue Weekend (where parents and incoming Freshmen gathered in the auditorium); and the President of the University opened with a prayer. He didn't have to worry about offending anyone with religion! That night, the campus pastor had an outdoor, evening Vespers for the students. Our daughter said the service was great. I'm excited about her opportunities and her future; but, I'm going to miss my little girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home