Wednesday, March 11, 2009

..........the ability to communicate!

Maybe I should have titled this post, "Not a Political Post". Surprised? Well anyway, this post comes from my lunch today. I go into the cafeteria following my symphonic band class, get my tray of fine school chow, and head for the teacher section in the cafeteria. Oh no, there's one table with people (I'm using the term "people" in the most loose sense of the word) sitting at it, and they're all coaches or student teachers in P.E. They see me coming and begin sliding over to make a place for me. They were watching students pass and commenting on "how much of an athlete" that kid appears to be. Well, that's okay, it's always a challenge to find students for your program; but then the conversation shifted to the scores and play-by-play of the latest games. Do these people talk about anything else? I made my move. I looked at one of the coaches and asked; "so, how's the family doing?" The whole conversation stopped, they all looked right at me as if I had lobsters crawling all over me, and said nothing. The guy I asked looked confused as well, but did answer; "fine". After a brief pause in the action, they conversation quickly shifted back to sports highlights. What's the deal? Are these people that narrow? I really think that's all they know - what a sad state of affairs! It's fun to "talk shop" with other band directors sometimes. I have some great conversations will other band directors concerning our programs, but I just can't stand to let music be my only focus. The moral of the story - coaches are stupid!

5 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Blogger Josh said...

too bad you bad you didn't have any students to rescue you with a cup of yogurt...

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pray for Nikki and I...the house we're looking to buy is literally right next door to Marc Payne's...

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Yes, a Blue Bunny yogurt would have pulled me right out of that one!John, that sounds like a quality neighborhood! No worries, you'll be in the "in crowd" with that purchase. Invite me over and we'll drive him crazy together!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger asubelle2002 said...

I remember hearing abour your blog back when Dustin Mills was student teaching with you, and have always found it intriguing!



Moral of the story, as we have been learning about everyday of my masters -

"I am more than my music..."

Perhaps the coaches should suck it up and be more than their sports...what a novel idea!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Have you heard from Dustin? I hope he is doing well. Thanks for dropping in. Join us again sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home