Tuesday, November 28, 2006

..........what's going on here?

Well, it's been a while since my last post. Those of you who are familiar with my yearly schedule know all about my life from the 3rd Saturday in November through the Saturday after Thanksgiving - you got it - parades with the marching band!!! We had some great parade weather for most of our performances. We were the Honor Band at Concord this year and the weather was in the high 50's. We were in the middle of a horrible storm system for the Salisbury parade on November 22; but, as good fortune would have it; the rain stopped minutes before the lineup time. We had wind (30 mph + gusts) and a damp 45 degrees at that one. We won the best Drum Majors, best Flag Corps, and won the Honor Band title there as well. We spent the night in Charlotte (always fun with 98 teenagers at a hotel), and marched in the 59th Annual Carolinas' Carrousel Parade on Thanksgiving Day. We won the Honor Band title there as well. The Saturday after Thanksgiving took us the the small town of Blowing Rock. From the time I called the band to "attention" to the time I called "fall out" was fifteen minutes flat! The highlight of that day was when Congresswoman Virginia Foxx (R) sought me out to shake my hand. I think I got some ink on me from where she has been "rubber stamping" so many things in Washington! Sorry about that! All in all, it was a good parade season, especially with the changing of the Christmas tune this year.

I'm doing this post from home and not on a school computer. I say this because I want to go out on a limb and tell you something that I got on my school email today. Word came down from the central office (the CO) that we were not allowed to have any Christmas trees in the classrooms at all. You may have trees in the lobby area, office area, or in the cafeteria; but, they may not have any religious symbols displayed on them!!! What kind of crap is that? I know, don't shoot the messenger. They (at the CO) are only doing as they have been instructed. So, when are we no longer allowed to play Christmas music in band or sing sacred music in chorus? When will we do away with calling that period between semesters the "Christmas Holidays"? Who is responsible? I hate to say it, but I think my old pals the Democrats and a very liberal, "let's don't offend anyone" policy. We are a predominant Christian nation, and I take great offense at these "can't do that" policies. I'm glad that I'm a "short timer" in the public schools - this crap is only going to get deeper as the years go on!

On to different issues. So what's the deal with Cosmo Kramer? The "n" word rears it's ugly head yet again! I agree that Cosmo lost it and made a real ass of himself. He also used language that should not be used. This word should be offensive to everyone and should not be used by anyone. Now, enter the list of who can use the word and who can't. African Americans are offended by the use of the word by anyone except other African Americans. What a stupid load of BS!!! If the word is offensive, then get it out of circulation altogether. Get it out of rap (notice I did not say rap music - rap and music do not coexist), and get it out of your slang. My case rests. Oh, by the way; I would now like to be referred to as "Caucasian American" because I'm not white!!!

How about O.J. Simpson? The Juice is an embarrasment to all mankind and should attempt to get completely out of site. Instead, he writes a book and signs an interview on Fox about "how he would have done it, if he did it". Rupert Murdock at Fox (I still can't believe that Fox would have even entertained the thought of putting this on the air) stated that the outcry of the public was so strong that they decided not to air the interview or participate in the book deal - translation - the businesses that advertise on Fox were going to pull their advertising time off Fox if the deal was not cancelled!!! Money talks yet again!!!

How about President Bush in Vietnam? I love the blue traditional outfit. The President was announced into one assembly of people by none other than......yes, the Vietnamese nipple gong! Did anyone see the gong? I was so happy to see and hear one in action. Bush later played a tune on a traditional Vietnamese mallet instrument. I was impressed. He even looked away from the instrument as he played part of the tune.

Three weeks of school left until the CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS!!! I'm getting a little nervous though - there is still no sign of the music for our upcoming Liberty Bowl performance. If this arrangement is anything like some of the Bowl Game music I've seen in the past, it will be about 175-200 measures long! That will not be cool at all. We are playing along with LeAnn Rimes this year - what a hoot!

Oh, back to Thanksgiving. As tradition has been at our house since 1989, we have our feast on the day after Thanksgiving (parades, you know). I took my JROTC Cajun Spiced turkey and warmed it up on the charcoal grill. It was great! We made white bean (excuse me Caucasian bean) chili with the leftover meat.

I apologize for this long post. I had a lot of thoughts going on. The citrus fruit comes in on December 5. I can hardly wait. The band kids sold an average of 1,093 4/5 bushel boxes this year - great for them - bad for unloading, sorting, and handing out orders. Do I have any "experienced" volunteers from the Salt Lake area that would be willing to fly out and help?

3 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Josh said...

i miss the parades and even fruit day. glad you did so well in charlotte. what did our friends at east burke think?

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Scott said...

They did not show this year. When they did not win last year, Jonathan's response was to not show up this year. Courtlyn and Leah (who went to the scholarship awards/pagent) said there was no band playing this year. That will work out well for us. I'm looking forward to doing the Honor Band thing one more time; especially while Megan and Lauren are still in the band. Sorry about the long post.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course it is my luck that we would win honor band my senior year and I would not get to reap the benefits next year. The pageant was a bore anyway--be glad you don't have to suffer through it. YOU SHOULD consider the Westin Hotel next year, though.

I would like to mention that my 18th birthday was completely taken up by marching in high wind & rain filled performances, one of which involved me diving to the left of the band in order to save several members from a flying traffic barrel.

I thought Donnie Ray already changed "Christmas holiday" to "Winter break"???

Either way, the best part about Christmas at Ashe County High School will be the faculty Christmas Dinner *or should I say "Winter Gathering"*, which is set to be held at either the Mountain Music Jamboree...or Greenfield. Both scrumptious with a great atmosphere, I'm sure.

--Courtlyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home