Friday, December 01, 2006

..........ramble, ramble, ramble!

Today is Friday, and I have no organized thought pattern going on; so, I'll just share some of the things on my mind. Here goes....................

I was getting a little confused with the weather here in western NC lately. It was sunny, no wind, and in the mid to upper 60's most of the week. Thank goodness a front is coming through right now to get me back on track - it is currently raining sideways, with wind gusts between 30 - 45 mph, and the temp is expected to drop from the lower 60's to the lower 40's by lunchtime. I just hope we don't miss any school between now and the Christmas Holidays. Did I say the "Christmas Holidays" - that may not be PC when talking about holidays in the public schools - OK, it's Friday, and I'm not going to get political and serious.

So what's the deal with dump trucks on rainy days? What do they do? Where are they going? It seems to me that construction work that requires dump trucks will be a bit limited on a heavy rain day. If my theory is correct; then why the hell were they everywhere on the roads this morning while I was driving to work? My theory - all they do is drive around on rainy days, with their only purpose being to predict my every move and get in my way on a two-lane road. Oh, their top speed - 30-40 mph!

My wife tells me that I use my horn too much when driving. This morning, after an encounter with a dump truck, I got behind a line of about 4 other cars who were also not going to exceed 42 mph. I had enough and laid on the horn. Much to my surprise, the lead car was a NC Highway Patrolman without the lights on top of his Crown Vic! His break lights came on at the instant the horn blew - I thought I was dead meat! I dropped back and thought that I may need to listen more closely to my wife from now on!

I am safely at school now and getting ready to begin my usual paperwork in preparation for marching band class. We got our music for the Liberty Bowl yesterday. I have never passed-out such a horrible arrangement of notes to my students! We are to perform with LeAnn Rimes at the Liberty Bowl, and I forgot what a PITA it is to perform with an "artist". Of course, we have only accompainment parts - she and her band will have all the melody lines. To make matters worse the key is horrible - D Concert. Josh, you may know the arranger. He is from Bountiful, Utah. His name is Dr. Michael Huff (mainly a choral guy). I met him over the summer. He certainly thinks a lot of himself - not very humble, and loves to talk about his accomplishments. I think he is one of those University of Utah guys.

Oh well, it is still Friday and will be that way all day - I'm glad! Friday is a good day when there is nothing going on for the weekend. I'm really looking forward to some R& R. I hope all of you have a great Friday as well. Beware of the Tall Elephant In Tall Grass - OUT!!!

1 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Josh said...

never heard of michael huff. at first i thought you said mac huff, but i guess that's a different guy. bountiful's suburb of salt lake, so u of u sounds right. remember the orange bowl with jessica simpson? she ditched the dress rehearsal. what a diva. now she kind of looks like a man, so she got what she had coming. megan and i were thinking you should do the las vegas bowl. i don't if bga does that one or not.

ah yes. dump trucks and old people on the roads of ashe county. you were a good mentor. i learned alot. especially not to go anywhere during school hours cause that's when all the old ladies were out doing their errands. i can't complain about drivers here going too slow--they usually pass me while i'm doing 85 on the freeway in the slow lane.

that's scary that you blew your horn at a state trooper. one night, on I77 in surry county, i was passing this really long line of cars.. then i saw that it was a state trooper at the head of the pack. i hit my brakes and just drifted to the back of the pack. i'm sure smokey smiled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home