Thursday, December 07, 2006

..........who would I be if I were not me?

Alright, it sounds like I have a little too much time on my hands. I've been watching movies again. I usually watch something with real true to life stories like the original Dirty Harry or something with a great storyline like Hamburger Hill. Last night I decided it was time for a good 'ole romance comedy! One of my favorite movies has always been The Four Seasons, starring Alan Alda and Carol Burnett. I like this movie partly for the music score. Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons is used, along with some Bach trumpet concertos. I love Baroque music (if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it). Baroque music appeals to me for the ordered structure. It makes me feel comfortable because I can predict it more. Wow, that really sounds insecure. Back to the movie - in this movie, there are three couples that go on vacations together during each of the four seasons. The men figures in the relationships are comprised of a dentist, an insurance salesman, and a lawyer. The dentist is always worried that something medical is wrong with him. The insurance salesman divorces his wife, dates, and later marries a very young attractive girl whom everyone resents. Alan Alda is the lawyer who is always analyzing every move the others make. I realized last night why I like this movie so much - I am the character that Alan Alda plays. It's really scarry how much I am like this character! I must be far more irratating than I thought! I analyze everything in my relationships with others. Maybe I need therapy? If you know me and you haven't seen this movie - watch it and let me know what you think.

I watched a couple of other movies at the beginning of the week while Lisa was away on a workshop. I watched Varsity Blues, a high school football movie about an overbearing coach who cares nothing about the players, and only about the championships he can win. This movie is not a heavy hitter with storyline. It is all about teenage hormones and good football. It was unrealistic in many ways. First, who would ever dream that a high school football coach would think more of himself and winning over the well-being of the young men on the team? The other part that was disturbing, is the depiction of teenage athletes (excuse me, atheletes) drinking alcoholic beverages to a state of being "out of control" drunk! Only in the movies, huh?

The final movie of the week thus far was one I have been avoiding. I swore I would not watch it. Well, it came on HBO this week, making it seem almost free. I decided to watch. Yes, I watched Brokeback Mountain!!! It really made me uncomfortable. There were several scenes that made my skin crawl. Am I a homophobe? If anything, this movie made me comfortable in my sexuality.

Okay, there it is. I have admitted to a more "touchy-feely" side of myself. This may not happen again in your lifetime; so, savor the moment. I think I'll watch the entire Godfather set this weekend to get me back on track. .........Michael Ricci, do you renounce Satan? (What a great scene!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home