Thursday, August 16, 2007






















..........Burnin' Love!!!!!

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley. I can remember the day Elvis died vividly. I had just graduated from high school a couple of months before, and at the time of his death, I was taking a summer school class at college. I was home when the news came through the media. This was the biggest media blitz I had experienced since Richard Nixon resigned as President of the United States. In fact, to most people, the death of Elvis was probably more important. What makes people idolize celebrites so much? Is is envy? Do they live in a fantasy world? Who knows; but some fans are really disturbed people. I can't imagine so broken-up over the death of someone who is an entertainer, sports great, etc.
The candlelight vigil begins on the night of August 15 every year at Graceland. In the four-lane road in front of Graceland mansion, the crowd gathers with candles in hand. Everyone passes the flame which comes from torches lit from the eternal flame which burns at Elvis' grave. Songs are sung and everyone shares their memories of their idol. There is an expected crowd of over 75,000 that will pass by Graceland this week to pay their respects.
Now don't get me wrong; I love the "King". I have several Elvis CD's that I play from time to time, and I love the music. I admire the fact that he was such a perfectionist with his music. He recorded track after track until he was satisfied with it. I even played trombone in a backup band for an Elvis impersonator once. Elvis made great contributions to popular music and culture. I've visited Graceland, and I had a great time there. It is amazing to see the number of gold and platinum albums that Elvis produced in his very short career. I guess Elvis was American pop culture for quite a few years.
No doubt about it, the King of Rock 'n Roll lives in the hearts of his fans. The candlelight vigils at Graceland will, no doubt, continue indefinitely. How about the picture above of the ghost of Elvis as he welcomes our American Astronaut Neil Armstrong to the surface of the moon. Elvis is everywhere.
The estate of Elvis Presley was in a state of financial decline when he died. The entire estate was worth barely $3 million in August, 1977. Former wife, Pricilla Presley took the estate into her hands as daughter, Lisa Marie inherited the estate. She built Elvis Presley Enterprises to an enormous money making company that still reigns strong today. Elvis Presley ranked second in 2006 as the highest grossing dead celebrity, making $40 million. Who ranked number one, you ask? That honor went to Kurt Cobain of the rock group Nirvana. Rest in peace Elvis..............if you're really dead?????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home