Friday, January 19, 2007

..........is Simon going to Hell? Will we be there with him?

....who knows? I guess we are all a bit at a loss on what all the real requirements are for going straight to Hell. Simon Cowell is making a great argument for his personal admission based on his business style and the way he treats others on American Idol. I'm a geek - I watch American Idol. It seems that the three judges are all a little more viscious this season. The treatment of the guy with the big eyes and the overweight kid in the flower shirt on the last show has been fodder for the talk shows all over the nation this week. Simon told the kid with the big eyes that he looked like a Bush Baby (a South American animal - not the child of a Bush). Sometimes the comments of the judges to the contestants makes me uncomfortable. If it were not for the comments, 37 million households would not tune in to the show! People are looking for some controversy in their reality shows. It would be pretty boring to watch people audition without the edgy comments. I admit it, that is one of the things that draws me to the show. I guess I'm no better than Simon, Randy, or a drunk Paula! Glenn Beck commented on that very thing this week; as did the hosts of The View (and Rosie O'Donnel has never made fun of anyone???). I listened to Bob and Sheri this morning talking about the same thing. Yes, these comments are uncomfortable and demeaning; but do the contestants not expect a certain amount of it? I really think that some of the contestants are borderline mentally handicapped, and are unjustly made fun of. Others want the attention that national television gives - look at William Hung. People who think themselves better than others (be it via intellect, appearence, religion, personal achievements, wealth, power) will always feel that they are better than others - this will never change. Is it right? Certainly not. What does our participation say for us as individuals and a society? It says that we all look to be elite in some form or fashion, and thrive on being better than the other guy. It's almost like we are the ancient Romans in the Collesium; watching as they bring in the next victim. "Release the lions", we shout. We take pleasure in the fact that it is someone else who suffers rather than ourselves. It makes us feel better about ourselves as we see someone who has it worse that we do. I am guilty! I enjoy watching the lions attack their prey. I'll watch American Idol again next Tuesday. I won't turn-off my TV in protest aganist Simon and company. In reality, I know that I do have it better than many of the contestants; but I also know that I have it better than Simon! It would be great if hunger, education, housing, childrens' rights, and health care shortcomings outraged us as much as the treatment of an American Idol contestant by three pompas ass judges!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home