Wednesday, August 06, 2008

.........the first day of school.

Well, it's over - summer break, that is. Today was the first day of classes. All went well this morning. Band camp got me into the mode of getting up early and going into school. My youngest daughter drove herself to school today for the first time. In fact, this was the first day in about eight years that I haven't had one of the girls sitting beside me on the way to school. I got to school at 7:20 and went through my usual routine of turning on the lights and unlocking all the storage room and office doors (the chairs were already straightened from the previous day - some of you know what I'm talking about). We had our Homeroom class come in at 8:00 where we handed out all the forms to fill-out, along with schedules, transcripts, and student handbooks. We went through all the things we were to "strictly enforce" this year - ba, ha, ha! For the first time in years, all my Homeroom kids were present. After Homeroom, we went into the regular class schedule. All was well until I tried to log onto my school computer. The computer had decided to lock me out of the system for some reason. And, "yes", it was the computer's decision to do that to me. I called the tech guy and told him my problem. He couldn't believe what I was saying; so, he came to my office to see for himself. After that SNAFU was fixed, it seemed like all was well. I had marching band and that went well. We played our music in the room and went to the field to rehearse marching - no problem. Even the FNG's did a good job on day one! Just as I returned to my office, the phone rang - no unusual thing. It was Lisa - uh, oh! A call from my wife in the middle of the school day is usually not a good thing. She reported to me that our water pump at home had kicked-off the breaker. I called home and talked our oldest daughter through resetting the breaker - NO GO. It immediately kicked-off again. The only thing to do - go home and check it out. After getting there and confirming the bad news, I attempted to get a plumber. Getting a plumber at any time of the day is difficult; but, try to get one to your house after 2:00 PM. I finally got one to agree to take the job. He said that the truck was presently at another job and they would be over after that. Do you think I believed a word of that? The plumber called about 45 minutes ago to confirm my thoughts; "we're pretty covered-up with this other job. It'll be tomorrow morning before we're able to be there." Now I'm going to the school to get my four, 5-gallon water cans filled for showers, the toilets, and whatever else. I've sent the girls to their friends houses for the night. What fun getting ready tomorrow morning will be for Lisa and myself. I'm sure that cold water will wake me up in the morning! Hopefully the problem will be a short in the line out at the pump. I have no idea how deep the well actually is. Sometimes this problem results in the plumber having to pull the entire pump up, out of the ground. Water and power are the two things we are really not prepared to suddenly give-up. All I can say is; "FUBAR, just FUBAR." Well, tomorrow is another day.

4 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Bennie said...

Happiness is John Phillp Sousa! God did not intend for anyone to march to rock tunes!!! Have a great year! Our classes start the 18th. School would be great if it weren't for the kids (j/k).

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Our first tune this year is "Aqualung", by Jethro Tull. What a bear it has been, too. Thanks for the well wishes, and I extend the same to you.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Josh said...

wow the summer has flown by. we just finished freshman camp today. we don't start school until the 21st! we'll have to get together and compare notes. although now we have to be sworn enemies... not that our bands will ever compete with each other ;)

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Hey Josh. Are you working with Avery or Watauga this year?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home