Tuesday, March 20, 2007

..........things you should know.

Information is the key to making good decisions. I'm getting tired of the political posts; even with the great topics out there. We could go on all day about that recent Hillary slur video. I loved it, and I could see her in that respect. It's a shame that the Obama campaign can't take credit for it. Okay, I'm getting off track. Here are some things you should know..............


1. The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
2. Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms taste like fried bacon.
3. Of all the words in the English language, the word "set" has the most definitions!
4. "Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphbetical order.
5. "Rhythm" is the longest word in the English language that lacks vowels.
6. Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
7. You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
8. There is a city called Rome on every continent.
9. Your heart beats over 100,000 times each day.
10. Horatio Nelson, one of England's most illustrious admirals, was throughout his life, never able to find a cure for his sea-sickness.
11. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.
12 The elephant is the only mammal that can't jump.
13. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.
14. Fingernails grow nearly four times faster than toenails.
15. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
16. Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian, and had only one testicle.
17. Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found to be edible.
18.Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th".
19. Coca-Cola would be green if colouring was not added.
20. More people are each year from bees than from snakes.
21. The average lead pencil will draw a line that is 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
22. Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.
23. The placement of a donkey's eyes in its' head enables it to see all four feet at once.
24. Earth is the only planet not named after a god.
25. Dolphins sleep with one eye open.
26. It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
27. The longest recorded flight by a chicken is 13 seconds.
28. Owls are the only birds that can see the colour blue.
29. The average person laughs 10 times each day.
30. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

3 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Rise said...

I always had heard "run" had more definitions. And I definitely laugh a lot more than that. Guess I'm a happy person!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Josh said...

15 reminds me of the state of the union when nancy pelosi blinked like 10 times as often as dick cheney.


and i think linguists would argue with number 5. all words have vowels. it may say "y", but it sounds like "i" in hit or sit.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Scott said...

I definitely laugh more than 10 times a day myself in an attempt just to remain sane!

My command of our language won't allow me to comment on some of what I posted. Maybe that should teach me a lesson.

My only hope is that my brain is larger than my eye!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home