Tuesday, June 26, 2007

..........into the Great Plains.

We left Kansas City this morning on our way to South Dakota. To do so, we hugged the state line of Missouri, through part of Iowa, and into South Dakota. Many people have told me this would be a boring part of the trip - I loved it!!! I have never been so impressed with farming before. Fields seemingly go on forever! We took a few pictures when we got well into South Dakota. These are not real "primo" picture areas. We took these at a rest stop. The enormous open fields impress me. I can just imagine the buffalo herd on these grasslands.



We stopped in a small town tonight just a few miles from this spot. The owner of a restaurant were we ate told us that the town was originally built in 1906 as a watering point for the railroad. The timeline that separates Central Standard Time from Mountain Time used to run down their main street. This worked great until after Prohibition. When alcohol flowed leagally in downtown, half of the town could serve alcohol for an hour longer than the other half. The timeline was then moved west to the county line. Free enterprise!!!


There are miles and miles of this scene going west on I90. I read today that farms of 20,000 acres or more is not uncommon in South Dakota. One wierd thing we noticed - all of the cows are always together in a tight formation. I'm going to ask someone about that tomorrow. My speculation - coyotes.


We will go to Rapid City tomorrow and see Mt. Rushmore (I noticed in a brochure that there is a campground there called "Mount Rush-No-More"). We'll also see the Crazy Horse monument, Badlands Nat'l Park, and the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. We were fortunate enough to get a room at Mt. Rushmore for tomorrow night. We traveled 575 miles today. Tomorrow should mean much less driving and more "boots on the ground".

I can't leave you without a great political video cartoon. You'll love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr0MLl-fxuo

3 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the lack of comments, it seems that no one is avidly reading the blog this week. I'm actually quite intrigued with your familial adventure across this great country...and what a wonderful time of year to be traveling. I'm sure you are observing many of America's greatest sites and absorbing a plethora of history--a great celebration of Independence Day!

I wish I had the opportunity to see first hand all of the sites that you guys are getting to see. Until then, thank Lisa for the pictures which I'm vicariously using to enjoy the US.

Be careful in your travels and return home safely. Let me know if you need something while you are gone.

Good luck!

Courtlyn

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading every day as well. I wouldn't say the plains are not boring, but they have a strange magical attraction for me. it's because i'm used to trees. the pictures from the rest area reminded me of a rest area in wyoming. no trees like the ones on I77 and elsewhere in NC. just a brick building with a bathroom that looks really out of place on the plain. it's like a different world.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Hey, thanks for writing in. How are you feeling Courtlyn? I know it must feel great having the surgery behind you. I know there is a lot going on as you get ready for college.

Josh, I know what you mean by the trees. It takes some getting used to. I guess the wide open spaces just amaze me. Our views are so confined by our surroundings here in the east. I'm realling looking forward to getting into the Rockies soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home