Thursday, August 30, 2007

..........wow, what fun at choir!

We had the best time at church choir last night! I am always looking for new material to work on with the choir, and I happened upon a book of "World Anthems". The texts came mainly from prayers, Psalms, other more familar hymns, and that of the native lands where the tunes are from. We sight-read serval last night and had a wonderful time. We began with Korean tune that was so beautiful that it made chills run across me. We also worked on a processional tune from Catalonia (I hope I spelled that correctly), and a West Indian tune. All these use a variety of percussion instruments that will bring out more of the spirit of the tunes when we present them to the congregation. There are several more tunes that I plan to work on in the near future. One that really caught my eye was a Native American tune from the Dakotas. It's such great fun to fellowship with people through music. I also found a Christmas Cantata that I liked and will order it today. Some of those cantatas seem so "hokey", and I watch what I get for our group. I like to find cantatas where composers use a great deal of traditional music and texts as their base, but are not afraid to color outside of the lines a bit. After weeks of searching, I finally found one to fit the bill. I look forward to working with the choir on our annual Christmas music offering. Today is the last day before the four-day Labor Day holiday weekend. I'm looking forward to a break. We have a football game tomorrow night at Grayson Co., VA. The band is not going, but we will go to support Megan as she cheerleads. Oh, we won last week aganist West Caldwell 41-7. I have not seen a high school football team as bad as WC in a long time! Their season will be long. Congratulations to the Huskies! I hope everyone has a great Labor Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home