Wednesday, December 12, 2007

..........one's politics - right or wrong?

I've done quite a bit of thinking concerning a person's convictions to political views. For as long as I can remember, you have to stand on one side of the fence or the other - Republican or Democrat. If you don't, you risk being shunned by both sides and labeled a "fence sitter". One could look at 90%+ of my posts and determine that I'm a pretty hardcore Democrat. That's really not the case at all - I just detest hypocrites. Oh yes, and Bill Clinton was one too! I actually am very conservative in many of my political and social views. Now, when speaking of the Conservative (Republican) Party, I have to draw some battle lines, because there is too much of the old, "do as I say do"; instead of the lead by example method. The Conservative Party has set themselves up for failure by raising the bar too high for their morals. This certainly doesn't apply to everyone who calls themselves a Conservative or a Republican. I know many people who seem to live by what they acknowledge as their political stance. The Republicans continually align themselves with the Moral Majority; and by doing so, play to the crowd that wants to believe that politicians will offer the moral standards they hear about in church. I hate to burst your bubble; but, I hope you have more sense than to believe that. There have been so many politicians who have recently been caught with their hand in the cookie jar - you know, those guys who "want to spend more time with their families". We should expect moral decisions by our government leaders, and we should hold them accountable when they fail us. That scenario weakens every day of every week. We, as the American public, have such low standards for behavior. While we "whup-up" on the Republicans, we can't forget our buddies, the Democrats or the Liberals. Too often, these guys want to have us believe that we should be able to do what we want, whenever we want, and however we want; while at the same time, being active recyclers and conservationists. Society has to have some standards to live by; and, like it or not, our country was founded on the standards put forth by our Christian faith. My Democrat buddies like to argue the old, "separation of church and state" issue quite often. I believe that the separation of church and state has been taken way out of context by our society. Recently, presidential hopeful, Mitt Romney, stated this exact view in a speech concerning his faith. I agree with him completely. This part of the Constitution was to mean that our government would not be run and dictated to by a certain religious belief (i.e. an Islamic state, for instance). We can still run our government by the virtues given to us by our faith; but, a certain faith would not make the decisions of government for all the people; many of which, would be of a different faith. The Democrats often want to remove themselves from religious faith based standards, and that's going way too far to the left for me. Neither one of these parties are offering me what I want to hear and pledge my allegiance to. I will continue to be a fence sitter and look to both sides to find the best candidates or maybe, even the lesser of the two evils. In my way of thinking, the division of our citizens by the Republicans and Democrats is too abrupt for our modern needs. We need compromise and the best parts of what both parties offer. I know it won't happen; but, I have my opinion, and I feel comfortable with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home