Wednesday, October 11, 2006

..........everyone has to be special.

Everyone has to be special these days. I have always taken pride in the fact that I'm a garden variety, common guy. I take responsibility seriously. I served my country in the military. I go to work each day, and I take great pride in my work. I pay my bills, my taxes, and contribute to worthy causes to help others. I go to church on a regular basis, and I understand the commitment of being a Christian. I attempt to treat others as I would want to be treated, and I enjoy helping others who are less fortunate than myself. I've been married to the same wonderful woman for 23 years (as of this December). I have two children who I love dearly, interact with on a regular basis, and take care of. I just don't stand-out in the crowd as anything special - and I love it!!! I also think that I am becoming a minority.

It starts early. Kids are grouped and/or identified by ability levels, special skills, special handicaps, race, religion, and socio-economic standards, etc., etc. etc. - if not officially - in our minds. We assign all kinds of things to kids to "level the playing field". Now, I know I'm on shaky ground with my defense of the public education system. I feel the public education system for our kids is the one thing that is there to help level that playing field for all citizens. Anyway, back to the point - what about all those special classifications we give to our kids and, are we helping our society by taking away being average? If we don't like how someone is perfoming in school, on the job, in the Congress, or in society; we give them a disorder to help them out. Now, this disorder crap is a pain in the ass for someone - me, the average guy!!! I don't have a disorder (although, my wife contends I have AADD), that prevents me from functioning. I just know what my responsibilities are, and I get the job done. That job may be a work, in society, or right in my own family. I'm fed-up with the whole "being special" thing! Maybe we need to get rid of some labels and get back to responsiblity, respect, and hard work. Am I Republican? That really sounds conservative. Maybe I can have a disorder named after me for being so average that I can't achieve like everyone else. With the numbers of average people dropping like flies, I'm sure we can come-up with something. I know, I need a 504 Plan that will allow me to miss all of the work I choose (without losing any financial benefits of work). My "504" could also give me all the time I want to complete even the smallest tasks. I could even get away with not doing anything on a schedule. I could just rely on my "disorder" to shape my whole world. Everyone could consider this disorder to the extent that I'm suddenly not responsible for anything at all! Maybe I could even get some free stuff from the government. In fact, maybe the government could hire a special person to counsel me whenever I am asked to take care of any responsibility. When I hit a snag on something, I could just stop what I'm doing and go to this person who could assure me that it is not my fault, it's the disorder - the heck with being challenged to complete anything.

I'm the common guy who takes-up the slack for all these people who choose not to perform. Yes, I know there are some people with real problems and they can't function. To them, I say, "let me help you". I will do it without hesitation. For the rest of this lazy population - screw you! Get of your butts, do your school work, play an active part in society, join a Christian Church, get a job, and pay your taxes so I can retire in four more years! The buck stops here! I stand alone - the common American!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home