Friday, October 13, 2006

..........what's the deal with driving?

Sometimes it's those little things that happen to a person who is just going about their own business that gets me going! Western North Carolina is beautiful right now - the leaves turning brilliant colors, the sky is clear (about once every 30-45 days), and the air is crisp. This brings in the Floridiots. These people love the Fall colors and the whole "change of seasons" atmosphere. There are only about three people in Florida who should have a drivers liscense, and they are still in Florida! People from Florida can't drive on mountain roads. What is even more scary - most of them are over the age of 116! Don't get me wrong, I love the elderly; but, I would rather take them places than to dodge them on the road! I know about how long it takes me to get from my house to most places I frequent in our area. During the months of October-November, I tack at least ten extra minutes onto each trip to weave through the Floridians. By the way, the Blue Ridge Parkway is being renamed - it is now the Blue Hair Parkway.

Now, let's talk local folks. If you are looking to purchase a used vehicle with excellent turn signals and headlights, come to Western NC. These people don't use either. I guess I am supposed to know exactly where each person in front of me is going, adjust my speed, and go on - no need to signal another motorist. They don't like to use headlights either. Who is the redneck that put out the information stating that you should only use the parking lights when driving in heavy fog, snow, or rain? I guess headlights are all about wheather or not the driver can see the road. The heck with me being able to see them in front of me or coming at me.

What about the rednecks, one in each lane, talking to each other at a dead stop in the middle of the road? Do you blow the horn and risk the outcome? Or, do you wait until they are done with their stupid conversation which consists of, "What are you doing?" , "Not much, what about you?", "Not much". "Well, don't do anything I wouldn't do.", "Yeah, keep 'er between the ditches."??? These two guys can stretch this conversation into 5-10 minutes - no problem! No consideration about the people behind them at all.

I live in a resort-type area. Most of the factories are closing, and the main source of income around here is real estate, art galleries, and Christmas tree farms. I should expect to endure alot of retired people and rednecks. The retired people have no schedule to keep. The rednecks rebel aganist all rules and regulations. So, what about me? Where do types like me fit in around here? I go out of my way to be courteous (most of the time), only to deal with these other idiots. I guess I fall into the category of "SOL"!!!

I vow to all of you now. When I retire (hopefully in four more years); I will never drive over 42 miles/hour and I will drive only when people are going to and coming from work. I will obtain the largest vehicle on the market, drive in the middle of the road, and never use a turn signal. Beware of the elephant in tall grass when he retires - he will seek revenge!!!

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Josh said...

you won't believe me, but i think we had it good in nc... in nc, it is the out of staters, but out of nc, they're the locals. even people from california have told me that utahns can't drive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home