Monday, February 05, 2007

..........the weekend in review.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Our's was pretty good. Saturday, Lisa and I went bed headboard and artwork shopping. We didn't have to go further than North Wilkesboro to find exactly what we needed. We first stopped at a damaged furniture place to see what they had on hand. We found this leather upholstered Thomasville headboard for our king bed for only $150. We were very happy about that. It only had a couple of small dings on it - the kind you get when you move the furniture into your house kind of dings. At any rate, they couldn't sell it as first quality with the dings. We went to Kohl's to look at pre-fab artwork. We found some nice prints; and as fortune would have it - 50-80% off. I'm not the type of guy who is usually in the right place at the right time, so it felt good to get a bargain or two. We also got some frames for some pictures and artwork that we have never displayed.

How about that Super Bowl? I was pulling for the Colts from the beginning. As a kid, I used to idolize Johnny Unitas when the Colts were in Baltimore. Do any of you remember his signature high-top shoes? It just felt right to pull for them. When Chicago scored in the first fourteen seconds, I thought it was going to be another one of those infamous Super Bowl blowouts. I kept watching. It wasn't but a couple plays into the first Colts posession that there was a turnover. At that point I knew what was happening - the Colts had the curse of me pulling for them - I just knew they were doomed! I kept watching. The last time this happened to the Colts (when they played the Patriots), I turned the channel only to find out later in the evening that Peyton Manning had pulled-off a remarkable comeback. Good job Colts! You did it again!

Now for the Beware of the Elephant in Tall Grass Superbowl Pre-Game and Halftime review: When I saw that Prince, (or is it the star formally know as Prince, or is it just a symbol) was the halftime entertainment, I wasn't very pleased. I have never liked Prince ( although his drummer, Shelia E was pretty hot when his first hits came out in the '80's), and probably never will. I must say, he put on a great show. The symbol "thing" stage was cool. He had the Florida A&M Marching Band out there with rope lights on. At the time of their purchase, the Florida A&M Marching Cobra Band had the most expensive band uniforms in the nation. How about the "mammy" style headgear? At any rate, he's a well-accomplished entertainer, and that one thing saved the show for him. As for the Pre-game, I'm not much on the Cirque de Solei either (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Too many of them look like clowns! I always look forward to hearing the National Anthem. Of all the performers out there, why Billy Joel? His pitch was horrible in the opening measures! He is such an idiot! Not only did he screw-up our national anthem, he messed-up his ticket with Christy Brinkley. (Have you seen their kid? Find a picture and give me your reaction.) I doubt I will ever hear anyone sing the National Anthem as well as Whitney Houston - she messed it up for everyone who would follow.

I have to tell you about this incident from earlier in the week. I love the convenience and peace of mind that mobile phone communication provides. My daughters have both eased the minds of their parents several times with a quick call that let us know all was well and they would be in a little later than anticipated. Mobile phones are not to be accepted everywhere in a responsible society. For the past two Sundays, mobile phones have gone-off during the worship service at church - totally unacceptable. I have not had a band concert in years where a phone did not ring. Much to my surprise, people answer them in these places! That is unacceptable as well. I thought I had seen it all with mobile phones, and then there was my trip to Chik-fil-a last week. I went into the men's room to wash-up before ordering my lunch. I heard a voice as I opened the door. I expected to see a couple of guys recounting a game or stock deal. It was a guy standing at the urinal, talking on the mobile phone while he did his thing! His aim must have been pretty good. I prefer to use both hands for more control. That whole situation could take a bad hop on you at any moment. This situation is almost as bad as Clinton talking to a Senator via phone in the oval office with Monica on her knees under the desk. We have to put some limits on ourselves and become gentlemen again! Well, if it is any consolation to all you folks in the blogesphere, I will continue to take my ball hat off when I go indoors, I will open a door for a woman, I will respect my elders, and I will not use the mobile phone in a bathroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home