Wednesday, February 14, 2007

..........sacrifice made.

Whoever said, "War is Hell"; said it best. No responsible person or culture wants war. The pride that I find in Americans who go to war when their country calls overwhelms me. I remember well the conversations with my grandfather about his experience in France during WW I. Before going to the US Army at the age of 22, my grandfather had never spent a night away from home in his life. He answered his country's call to serve; and did so without question. While serving in the Army Medical Corps, his detachment was hit by mustard gas as they treated the wounded. He spent three years in a veteran's hospital before returning to his life. He lived to be 93 years old and thankfully, had no further problems resulting from his wartime injury. I often listen to WWII veterans tell the stories of their experiences in Europe and the South Pacific. There is a gentleman at church who was on the destroyer that pulled-up along side the USS Yorktown to take on surviors at the battle of Midway. He tells of the horror he felt when a Japanese torpedo tore into his ship and plundged him into the water. I have listened to my uncle tell of his experience during the Battle of the Buldge. The unbearable cold and the suffering of his fellow soldiers. During my own military service, I was fortunate to train and serve with many Vietnam veterans. As a young infantry soldier, I learned a great deal from their personal experiences. I sat on watch one evening at Fort Carson, Colorado and listened as a former band student of mine told me of his experience in Desert Storm. He wept as he told me details of his armoured infantry company in battle.

I am in total awe of the dedication to duty that all of our service men and women display in the fighting of our current war. They fight as volunteers. They fight because their country called. They fight without hesitation or selfishness. They don't question the reasons why, they just serve. I would like to share this story about a young helicopter pilot. Jennifer Harris was an overachiever who graduated from Swampscott High School, bound for the Naval Academy. She signed up for their most grueling program - she wanted to be a Marine. Harris, 27, a Marine Corps Captain, was killed while piloting her CH-46E Sea Knight helicopter north of Baghadad. This was her third tour in Iraq. She was scheduled to come home the following week. There are many who have served our country and have stories just like that. She was dedicated enough to be on her third tour of duty in an extremely hostile environment. I can have only great pride in this young woman and the life she gave for her country and her fellow Marines.

If you listen to enough politicians and news people, the service of brave men and women sometimes go unnoticed. It's easy for us to miss seeing the forest for the trees. God Bless our men and women who serve and who have served. A grateful nation does honor your service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home